Saturday, November 22, 2014

Update on Dermatology Visits

This sun bathing is not good!!
(and neither was that perm!!!)


When my husband Jack was alive, we had a house down in FL.  
It was on Anna Maria Is. on the Gulf, just across the street from the water!
I sold it after Jack died about 7-8 years ago.
We went down there sometimes a month at a time and back then, it was thought that it was really good looking to have a dark tan.
We were either on the beach or on the boat. IN THE SUN!
Now days, I look at people strangely that are really tan!!
It's not "in" anymore.
Mainly because of the education on the sun and skin cancer.
You never heard about that back when I was young!!
We slathered on oil to fry even darker!
I think the worst sunburn I ever had however was when I was in my early 30's and my two girl friends and I went to the Bahamas!
It was after my divorce from my first husband and was actually my first time flying!
Anyway, it was a short vacation package so we thought we had to get as tanned as we could in a very short time.
I looked like a boiled lobster!!
I could barely stand to wear clothes.
It was not attractive!
I learned a lot from that however!
But still didn't stay out of the sun, I just didn't use oil!
The real sun damage to you skin comes years later.
It starts showing up as just age spots, if you're lucky, or as skin cancer.
I, of course should have gone to the dermatologist a long time ago but waited till I thought I really could have a problem!!
And yes, all the "things" they removed and biopsied were either basal cell or squamous cell carcinoma.
Now more follow up treatments have to be done.
Bummer!
So, just saying, if your one who liked to tan or you see anything weird on your skin, go get a yearly dermatology exam.
I know, it's easy to just ignore, but don't be like me!

Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment