Monday, November 17, 2014

Anxiety and Aging

Until recently, it was thought that anxiety decreased with age.  However, mental health experts are altering their views.  
Aging brings added stress and anxiety because of increasing health problems, loses of loved ones, and other major life changes that build up as you get older.
The smallest things or thoughts can start anxiety and worry; sometimes, just life in general.


I know, my life has changed considerably.  I used to hardly worry at all.  
I had children and was working in a high stress job in the ER as a nurse never knowing what there was coming though the ER doors, you'd think those things would cause more anxiety and worry.
My mother, worried a lot, even when she was younger.
My anxiety and worry has definitely gotten worse in the past few years.
And with glitches in my health, my anxiety has sometimes hit the roof!

There's a lot of fears that are related to aging.  Fears of instability and falling causing debilitating injury.  Fears related to money issues, being victimized, being dependent on others and just feeling alone are a few.
If you are younger, there is no way you can fully understand these feelings.
You can't just stop worrying or stop being anxious.
I'm truly blessed and am so much more fortunate than some but still I have these anxieties.  Feeling on edge most of the time is not pleasant.
I've recently read up on Generalized Anxiety Disorder.(GAD)
Everyone feels these things once in awhile.
If you have 3-4 of these symptoms that last over 6 months, it could be GAD.
•Depression
•Impaired sleep
•Problems concentrating
•Problems with memory and attention
•Agitation
•Restlessness
•Fatigue
•Muscle tension

All these can lead to limiting your daily activities and social interactions.
Increased isolation.
Losing interest in hobbies and pleasurable pastimes.
Reluctance to leave home.
Loss of self worth.

This all sounds "depressing", right!
I'm looking into ways to get more involved outside the home.
There's also treatments for GAD that don't involve medications.
There's a lot of good articles on line.
I'm going to read up on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
and maybe see a therapist.

I don't want to end up being a hermit in my house with my dogs, my cats and my chickens!!!
Let me hear from anyone having similar problems.
I know you're out there.
Us oldsters have to stick together!!!


Here are just a few of the links to go to for more information:



There's many more if you Google "Anxiety with aging" or something similar.

Shirley


  

No comments:

Post a Comment