Thursday, February 5, 2015

Do Your Routines Rule You?



I think, as we age, our routines become ingrained in us.
I think they make us feel more secure, more comfortable with daily living.
Maybe we do it as to not forget things.
I know that if my morning routine is interrupted, I often forget important things, like forgetting to take my morning medications!
I sooner or later remember but sometimes it's after I have left the house.
Here's my morning routine.
Get up
Get totally dressed
Let the dogs out

Take fresh water to the barn cats and let the chickens out into their run.

Give the hens some scratch and meal worms.
Bring the dogs in and feed them.
Take cats wet food out to them and check for eggs from hens.
Come in and fix my breakfast.
Sit down, watch the news, check my emails.
Take my meds.

That's pretty much my standing routine.
It gets everything done that I need to do in the morning.
I mean, I'm not OCD about it but I feel better when I keep "the routine"!

I'm wondering if maybe as we age, it's better to switch up our routines.  I mean better for our minds.
What do you think?
It would make us use our brain a little more!
It seems my mind is being used plenty though, just trying it remember where things are and what I have scheduled for the day.  Of course I have a calendar and also everything is on my phone calendar so I get beeped an hour before any important appointments!

I really don't think I had real regimented routines when I was young.
Maybe that's why young people say that elders are "set in their ways". 
Is that the same as being in a rut?  I don't think so.
Daily routines certainly keep us from sitting in front of the TV all day and becoming increasingly depressed,
(That is if THAT isn't your routine!!)
I don't mind changes after I get those morning things done!
But I do better if I know about changes a couple days before hand and can put them in my schedule!
I've recently added more activity and exercising and have made a better sleep schedule.
It takes awhile to make new things a real habit but I'm working on it.
Sooooooo . . . .
Do you think routine is good or bad as you age?
Do you think it's helpful?

Shirley




1 comment:

  1. I have a daily routine too. Must be a family thing even though we are only a family of two :-). I get up, washed and totally dressed then come down to the kitchen and take my meds. I make my coffee and while it brews I fix my cereal. After that my day is up for grabs. Dog and cat food is always available to the pets and we have no outdoor critters to watch after.
    You are way more busy than I am ;-)
    Sister Sue

    ReplyDelete